Win the Homework Wars
Here's How to Handle Homework — Top 10 Tips:
- Set Up a Study Area — read about study areas.
- Make Materials Available — everything you need for homework should be within easy reach.
- Remove the Distractions — turn off the TV, log off the net, turn the radio down.
- Offer Guidance — but don't do the work for them.
- Use an Agenda — so you don't forget the instructions.
- Stay Informed — ask the teacher about upcoming projects and assignments.
- Be a Role Model — do a little work too, maybe bring something home from the office.
- Offer Praise — everyone loves it!
- Watch Frustration Levels — sometimes, you just have to take a break.
- Set a Time Frame — there is a 10 minute rule of thumb for how long homework should take: 10 minutes for grade one, then add ten minutes for every grade that follows. Following the formula, a child in grade six should have 1 hour of homework (60 minutes); a student in grade twelve should have two hours (120 minutes).
If you want more details about these homework tips, read the extended version. Is homework still a hassle? How to tell if your child needs a tutor.