Exam Stress: Cheating on Exams – Part 2
In the first part of this series we looked at why students might cheat on exams. There is a lot of pressure to succeed especially in the higher grades as college or university looms near.
But more than just pressure, if your child has been caught cheating on a test or exam, it can usually be traced back to inadequate study skills. And it’s little wonder since study skills are rarely taught in school.
But there are plenty of other reasons why students might cheat.
Here are some of the main reasons students cheat:
- They are unmotivated
- They have gaps in their learning skills
- They are unable to make lasting connections in the subject matter
- They have trouble developing a fundamental understanding of course material.
- They have poor exam preparation techniques.
The best way to avoid cheating is to help your child develop better study skills. Try these 6 tips:
- Hire a tutor.
- Enroll in a program that focuses on study skills.
- Create a study schedule, and review steps involved.
- Use a school agenda.
- Talk to your child about cheating and school pressure.
- Stay involved.