French Immersion in Canada
Since the debut of the first French Immersion School in 1965, French Immersion education has been steadily growing across Canada.
French immersion programs offer a variety of options to help your child succeed without the need for a French-speaking parent, and can ultimately guide your child to an accelerated and successful career.
Are you interested in a French Immersion education for your child? We’ve put together an overview of facts and history to help you learn more about French Immersion in Canada.
Quick French Immersion Facts
- Only 22% of parents of French Immersion students primarily speak French
- Newfoundland has the highest percentage of French Immersion students in Canada
- 89% of Canadians agree that a bilingual education offers better employment opportunities
Help your child succeed in French Immersion
- Have your child translate their French work into English
- Seek support from French speaking friends, family, or tutors
- Participate in adult French courses
- Encourage French speaking in every day life